Mentoring Birth Professionals
Providing maternity care as a holistic, personalized experience, that returns power to women and encourages them to feel their vitality, live in joy and love their birth - has been the hallmark of my practice. It’s an honor to share this path and calling with you!
As a Certified Nurse Midwife, I started working in a hospital based practice, and then opened my own home birth midwifery and gynecology practice - where I’ve learned so much from helping to bring over 1000 new babies into this world. My practice has been local, with a wait list of clients within the first year I opened.
Having a successful six figure practice of 20 plus years has provided me with many resources and a lot of lessons that I wish I would have known when I first started out - especially regarding what is NOT taught in standard education and training.
Here are ten things I wish I knew when I started my own midwifery practice from scratch back in 1997. I felt skilled as a midwife, but had no clue about or support with so many things that are key to having the successful thriving practice that I eventually built. I learned on the job, as I had to. I spent a lot of money and time taking many workshops, continuing education and embarked on my own self study to master and refine my skills as not only a midwife, but also as an owner of a private practice and its administrator. And I learned a lot from mistakes I made along the way. These ten main knowledge and expertise skill sets I wish I had when I embarked on the journey of starting and growing my own private midwifery practice are among the sort of guidanceI am passionate about providing to prospective, student, and new midwives, as well as any midwife who wants to start a practice or improve an existing one. They include:
1) How to run a business, accounting, billing and collections (not taught in most midwifery schools).
2) Dealing with insurance (a whole new unfamiliar world).
3) Marketing and social media (a consistently changing platform)
4) Making needed practice forms, legal documents, and informative handouts for clients.
5) Creating chart forms that work best for you and your practice (charting efficiently, debriefing, guidance with management and charting challenging cases).
6) Writing letters communicating with other health care providers (introducing yourself to form a collaborate relationship, thank you notes for excellent supportive care or summarizing cases for consultations or referrals).
7) Writing letters for moms in your practice as their obstetric care provider (disability, work, gym, dental work, travel, exemptions, insurance companies: payments and appeals).
8) Clarity about the roles of other members in your practice, (office and birth assistants, handling an emergency before help arrives, maintaining skills, and drilling for those rare emergencies).
9) Formulating and buying needed supplies (for your office, care visits, and birth bags).
10) Setting boundaries in your practice for your own personal health and self care (maintaining healthy relationships in your other life roles to prevent problems, exhaustion, illness, and burn out).
If you are a doula thinking of becoming a midwife, or a midwife wanting to start or grow your private practice, I’d love to help you!
Here are 4 ways we can work together:
Rock Your Practice is the deepest form of professional mentoring I offer. It's especially supportive if you want to start a home birth midwifery practice. Not only will I personally teach you the ins and outs of the practice as it relates to your needs, but also I'll share how to deal with insurance, how to get the paperwork organized, and how to grow your practice.
I'll give you my secrets to having a successful online business and social media presence, and you will learn how to stand out from the others. I'll share with you what the best clients look for in selecting support, and will give you tools to lead talks and do outreach. I can also help you self publish your best selling book!
Jumpstart Your Practice is a great option for developing or building your own Midwifery or Doula practice! Get educational training to support holistic and natural births, plus all the documents and business strategy you need to get your business going! This will shave YEARS off of your learning curve.
This is perfect for you if you are are feeling isolated and are desiring expertise of a midwife mentor for reviewing and getting support on challenging cases or complications, charting, and medical/surgical transfers. I'm also happy to share some business suggestions to grow your practice as part of the process as well.
This is a great starter program for personalized guidance and support when you are new or exploring birthing career options.